Rainy DIY Bow Project VII, Dummy Shrew & Barbecue Stuff

First of all, I changed the names of my “Traditional Bow Project” posts to “DIY Bow Project”. It is somewhat misleading to call my bow project “Traditional” as I’m using nylon cabling instead of sinew, cutting large windows into my bows etc. Anyhow, last time I mentioned how I managed to increase the draw weight of my previous bow to over 40lb at full draw, demanded by the Finnish law for hunting. So, it could be said that the bow was successful, but like with the first bow I managed to finish, I took a risk and made some extreme experiments and tightened the cabling too much. Unlike previously, now the nocks did not fail, but actually the cabling itself broke the bow! As you can see from the previous post, I added the cables by tying knots around the limbs. Even though I “exercised” the cabling by drawing the bow and tightening the cabling stepwise, the upper limb broke. If the cabling is tied along the working parts of the limbs, it is extremely important to take care that the cabling can transfer stress evenly. After the breakage, I noticed from the marks that the cabling was tightened more around the upper limb than the lower one, making the bow unbalanced. Well, I had a functioning bow with enough draw weight for hunting, but not as much as I wanted. Because I’m going to use cheap, but not very suitable aluminum pipe for my coming arrows (not so lightweight), I want my bow to be strong and fast for giving straight trajectories. What is enough strong? Let’s see what I manage to get 😀

So, I had a couple of functioning, semi-long bows, but compactness would also be nice. This means more challenge, a lot of more challenge! Currently, I’m making super small bow, only about 120cm long. This project might be doomed, but if you search from the web, Inuits managed to make quite compact bows by securing them with cables. They also used quite sharp recurves which should decrease the stacking effect and add draw length. So, there are many problems to solve and things to learn, but the biggest issue currently is the bad weather! The warm and clear summer has gone somewhere, and now there is always raining outside. Thus, I bought myself a large pop-up fabric shelter 😀 Now I can carelessly continue my projects, even in the rain. I also bought a new case for my tools I use with the bows, so that the saws and files do not get dull in my backpack anymore.

After spending the weekend outside with my bows and tools, my girlfriend and I cooked some food in barbecue. The specialty today was the prawn and mussel pan. I made a tray from aluminum foil and oiled it. Then I added prawns, can mussels, sea salt, white pepper, dill, beer, garlic, lemon juice, and mixed the whole thing. Finally, I coated the mix with tomato puree and cheese grates, and cooked the tray in barbecue so that the cheese melted and had nice brown color.

Here are some photos about the stuff I wrote, enjoy!



A stalking hare.


My new tool box and fabric shelter for bow projects. Luckily, it is possible to carry the shelter package like a backpack by putting hands through the leashes. I carried also my tillering tree in the green bag.


Here is the new tool box open.


And here is my all-weather-workshop 😀



Once, as I sat and filed my bow, I heard that something moved in the grass. Before I realized, I had a shrew under my glove. I noticed that shrews are not quite intelligent creatures. While taking a photo, the shrew started to clean its fur like everything was okay! I bet that shrews have so small working memory that the shrew forgot it was caught by me. Then, if I squeaked like a rodent, the shrew went hysteric! If I stopped, it started to clean itself again after a while. After having a good photo, I let the dummy shrew go 😀


After the weekend’s DIY bow project, I was hungry. Thus, I needed to prepate the prawn and mussel pan for the barbecue 🙂



With the food we drank excellent rhubarb mead made by my gf 🙂


The grilling base in the balcony.

IMG_5392 IMG_5395

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.